Friday, June 30, 2006

Take a breath

Really. I mean it. Take a breath. With all that’s going on: career, family, hobbies, church, activities…uh, reading my blog! When do you take the opportunity to just relax and take a break?

Try it now: Inhale (through your nose). Exhale (through your mouth). Again: Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale.

Okay. I don’t know about you, but I definitely feel better.

I was having a little panic attack in the shower last night (no big deal, just a little hyperventilating) when I had to tell myself to “just breathe.” I could have made the decision to go into full overwhelmed mode, but I didn’t; I decided to just breathe. Breathing helped me get myself together enough to “just pray.” Well, I guess it was more of a “crying out” than a prayer, but I know you understand me.

And that’s when I started to think about you. I know that sometimes life, and everything going on within it, can get overwhelming. Despite that it’s always necessary to take a moment, slow down, breathe and pray.

Even when you can’t find all the fancy words for some big, theological prayer God is still listening. He hears you saying, “Lord, please help me.” Or “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.”

Even when there isn’t time to get on your knees and close your eyes, He’s still listening for you. Waiting for you. Just call on Him.

Before anyone starts to hit the “comment” button, let me add now that I know it’s imperative for a true, strong, close relationship with God that we do spend time “on our knees” in an in-depth and fervent prayer! So, don’t panic! Now, where was I? ...

You can also take that same approach – slow down, breathe and pray – when you get in sticky situations. Like when it’s late at night and you want to engage in some sexual, self-gratification. (You know what I mean!) Just stop, take a moment, slow down, breathe and pray. When you find yourself in a passionate embrace: slow down, breathe and pray.

That’s when God can come in and do His part. Your phone may ring and your accountability partner will be on the other end. Someone will knock on the door. Or – even better – you’ll be convicted enough to change and stop the situation.

As you go into another weekend, don’t forget: slow down, breathe and pray.

"Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight."– Helen Keller

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As we try to find time to praise and worship, least we forget we always manage to find time for worldly matters. we almost always catch our favorite TV shows, read that book you just can't put down, etc. in this world of instant gratification, we must take time out for GOD and ourselves. with this, all I am saying is what was previously and so eloquently stated...Inhale-Exhale, it is so gratifying!
Speaking of grafication, I had an interesting converstaion with a young man concerning self-gratification (and you know what I mean) as it pertains to being a Christian. I could not speak expertly on the subject nor could I find any reference in the Bible. I did however remember a Paster/Pyschologist who spoke briefly on the topic. in a nutshell, he did not say it was sinful and wicked. he did say it would be adulterous if the individual was married and invisioned someone other than the spouse while accomplishing the act. Can someone shed some light on this topic?

TF