Wednesday, June 21, 2006

So, you were celibate, right?

I’ve been thinking a lot about being married, which a lot of you know that I am. Why in the world is a married woman writing about celibacy? Seems odd, huh? Not really. Check out my bio for more information on that, but I’ll just tell you that I haven’t always been married. I’ve had to deal with being a single Christian just like you’re doing now.

At the time I decided to live a celibate lifestyle, I wasn’t actually living a godly or Christ-like lifestyle. However, I made a decision to not “give it up” until I was married. It was something I committed to on my own. The reason, for me, was clear: I really wanted to be married and not one man I had given the goods to had actually married me. “Hmmm?” I thought. “There’s something wrong with this picture.”

Hence my commitment to myself. When I rededicated my life to Christ, my first thought was, “Oh no, now I really can’t have sex!” :-) Five years later, on my wedding night, was when I “broke” that covenant. I obtained a ring and put my covenant in writing.

Now almost four years into my marriage I realize that I coulda stayed celibate a little while longer. Yes, you read that right. Pay attention here: There’s nothing more precious than your relationship with God and sometimes a marital relationship can put a little kink in it. On top of that, if you’ve been single for awhile – you know, an “older” single person – then it would be in your best interest to remain that way as long as possible. That’s just my opinion.

“Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission.” Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments: