Friday, August 11, 2006

Skipped a step!

Sorry I'm late. By the time I finished writing my post Blogger was performing maintenance.

Not too long ago, I gave you ideas on what to do for a date instead of spending time alone in a dark, quiet place where the potential for intimacy is great. It dawned on me; however, that we haven’t talked about obtaining the date. You know… asking someone to go on a date with you.

For some of you this may be simple: you probably go up to the person you’re interested in spending time with and just ask them on a date. It sounds simple, but let me add a little twist to it. First of all, if the person (notice I don’t say girl… sometimes I think it’s okay for a girl to ask a guy, but I’m sure that’s an entirely different subject) you’re asking to spend some time with is a platonic friend then I don’t think anything “extra” is necessary. BUT when the person is a love interest then that’s when you need to take it to God as well as use some good ole fashioned discernment.

When you happen upon a person who you believe you’d like to spend some quality time with try saying a quick prayer before you approach them. Something like “Lord, lead and guide me and let Your will be done with my interaction with this person.” You’ve just allowed God to be apart of it and He’ll reveal stuff to you about the person that may not be appealing in a potential mate. He may also let you know right away “NOPE, leave that person alone.” You won’t know why and your “flesh” may resist, but listen to that still small voice or that slight urging down in your gut --that’s usually the Holy Spirit trying to guide you.

It may seem a little odd to do this when just going out on a date, but you’ll be surprised at how much time you’ll save yourself. I’m sure you’re aware of the type of drama that can occur when you incorporate another individual into your life. This is just one small, but powerful way to avoid that.

Moving into marriage…
If you’re currently seeing someone who you aren’t sure is your spouse, you should immediately seek the Lord. Ask the Lord straight up if that’s the person who you should marry. He may speak to you at that moment, use someone else to speak to you, give you confirmation through the written word like a book, etc. You should never get into a marital relationship without asking God.

The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. –Carl Jung

No comments: