Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Complain, complain, complain

I don't normally get a chance to watch live television so I record different shows that I like to watch everyday including Oprah. Well, about a week ago I had the chance to watch the show where Oprah had a pastor on there talking about a bracelet his church distributes to help people stop complaining. Forty-five minutes hadn’t passed since I watched the show and I wrote the website in my journal so I could get a bracelet thinking that I will stop complaining!

It’s funny how I didn’t think I complained a lot until I realized I spent almost 10 minutes – not long after watching the show – telling a friend about something my husband did. When I got off the phone I felt like such an idiot! Not complaining at all is harder than you think.
This got me to thinking about my days as a single and celibate person. As I recall, I would complain about not having a husband, complain about wanting to have sex, complain about doing everything alone… oh, how the grass seemed greener on the other side. :-)

What we must realize – and what that pastor told Oprah – is that what we say and the passion in which we say it can be a complaint. For instance, if you say, “I’m single and celibate” without attitude and annoyance in your voice then it can be a simple statement. But if you say it with annoyance and a measure of anger then it’s a complaint. I’m sure you get the point.

No matter what our status in life we must remember to give thanks. There are quite a few scriptures that tell us to be thankful. (Check out I Chronicles 16, I Chronicles 29 and II Chronicles 5 – to name a few.) And, truthfully, if we’re being thankful then we have nothing to complain about. Right?

(To get your bracelet, go to www.acomplaintfreeworld.org. It's free. It may take up to five weeks to receive it, but hey "who's complaining?")

No comments: