Sunday, March 25, 2007

You know people by their FACES

Today, during the 11 a.m. service at my church, my bishop (Pastor Dale C. Bronner) gave some interesting points for single individuals on how to initially determine if someone is the right person for you. It was based on this acronym: F.A.C.E.S.

Although I didn’t write down all the key points under each letter, I thought you might find what he had to say interesting.

Family background – you need to know something about or investigate an individual’s family background.
Attitude – what type of attitude do they have? Are they up one minute and down the next?
Compatibility – how compatible are you? “Salvation is not a sign of compatibility,” Bishop said. Someone being saved does not necessarily mean they are the person for you.
Experiences – what life experience or past experiences are they bringing into the current relationship.
Skills – identify the key skills they bring to the table. “Cute is not a skill,” Bishop said, causing everyone to laugh.

Bishop also taught us that we can know God’s face by these five things:

Five Ways to Know God
Prayer: You know God through prayer/communication.
His word: The bible reveals His nature to you.
By walking with Him: Travel with Him. When it comes to this point, for me it means that as you go about your day God is continually with you. You’re consulting to Him, talking to Him, praising Him, etc. For someone else it may mean something different.
Worship: You’ll reach another dimension of knowing Him through worship.
Through His manifested love: You’ll get to know God through His grace and His mercy.

I hope this brief look into today’s sermon has been a blessing to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a loyal reader of your Blog and I was so touched spiritally by this entry. I feel it was so apropos. Every day, I speak with my children concerning dating. My oldest son who is now 20 years of age, is going through the phase that every teen and young adult experiences...finding that right someone. In keeping with my faith, I told him to take it slow and be patient-Finding Misses Right will not happen overnight. As I read "You Know People By Their FACES", I began to think that this is also good to use to determine your friendships. It is said that "you are known by the company you keep." the FACES Blog is useful not only when trying to find that special someone, it is also useful in establishing friendships!

Yours In Christ!

Thomas