Wednesday, April 26, 2006

More about me



I’m taking a break from my regular posts to tell you a little more about myself. As you’ve read in my profile, I am a writer and editor with about 11 years of experience. However, what you don’t know is: I’ve known since I was 10 years old that I wanted to be a writer. That year, for my birthday, my brother gave me a journal … what we called diaries back then. And, at the risk of using a trite phrase, the rest is history. That small blue journal (I think Holly Hobby was on the front) with the little lock and key proved to be the start of my love of writing.

I’ve always wished that I wanted to pursue a profession that was more monetarily rewarding like medicine, law, engineering or the like. Then I realize – and stop all the negative talk in my head – that writing can be very lucrative. Like any field it requires tenacity, dedication, discipline, marketing and, of course, a little talent doesn’t hurt. It also requires something I haven’t quite mastered, which is the ability to continually generate a substantial income… but that’s an entirely different story.

What have I done so far in my career? Edit magazine articles and books; compose workbooks and e-newsletters; conduct writer’s workshops; ghostwritten a book and business columns; write web content and magazine articles, contribute to my church newsletter… there’s more, but I don’t want to bore you. I think my most memorable and creative project is when I served as project manager and editor of a new comic book. It was a welcome break from my role as assistant editor with an Atlanta business newsmagazine.

I believe I’m gifted to do what I do. I believe that God has blessed me with a gift and through that gift I am called to inspire, entertain and educate. And that’s exactly what I hope this blog – and my other writings on singleness and celibacy – will do for you: inspire, entertain and educate.

Let’s end with this thought: “If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” I’m actually not sure who said this, I think it was Catherine somebody. (Now that’s not exhibiting the good habits of a professional writer and editor, but hey “it’s my blog and I’ll skate if I want to, cheat if I want to, be lazy if I want to…” Hum along.)

BTW: My picture is about four years old. I think I look the same except for the fact that I have different glasses and longer hair now. The picture was taken by Alex Jones. Check him out at http://www.picturealex.com/.

No comments: